(IJCRSEE) International Journal of Cognitive Research in Science, Engineering and Education
Vol. 2, No.1, 2014.

 

CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT

Dr. Jasmina Delceva – Dizdarevik, Institute of Pedagogy, Faculty of Philosophy
Ss. Cyril and Methodius University-Skopje, Macedonia
E-mail :jdelceva@yahoo.com

Received: February, 20.2014.
Accepted: April, 04.2014.
Original Research
UDK 371.12:005.32(497.7)

 

Abstract. This paper is aiming to discover the paths that enable teachers to manage their work with students in the classroom. To be an efficient teacher means to know with what and how to motivate students to learn. Teacher as an efficient classroom manager needs to have skills to plan and prepare the education process, know how to organize the teaching and how to guide the class. An efficient teacher moreover needs establish positive classroom climate and working discipline. Also, teacher should be able to evaluate the progress of the students and self-evaluate his own work.

In order to examine classroom management skills of teachers in Republic of Macedonia, a research has been made for teachers in primary schools in Republic of Macedonia. Instruments which will be used in order to complete the research and analyses are the following: questionnaire for teachers and educational policy analyses in our country in order to discover whether there is concrete strategy for promotion and implementation of classroom management on local and national level.

Analyses of results show that there is a deficit of classroom management skills among teachers, which is due moreover to some lapses in initial education of teachers.

Keywords: Classroom, Teachers, Management skills

 

INTRODUCTION

 

This last decade has brought positive, as well as negative changes in many aspects of human life. The question of improving everyday life has thus become crucial. With the so called phenomenon of democratization, the individual searches for solutions of improving his own life. A good analysis is needed in order for this to become possible, an analysis not only of society as a whole, but of human resources who’d have the capacity to manage it as well.

We live in a world of constant change. If we want to be in step with the needs of the XXI century, we need to apply changes to the education system as well.

Therefore, the subject of this paper would be answering the questions of organizing the teaching process, and the teachers’ ability for different kinds of organization.

We are inevitably faced with the question of renovating schools. This is а recurring question because it is essential for public education. “In this country, there are thousands of buildings where people have no phone and no cable TV. We call them schools.” (Dryden, G., & Vos, J. 2001: 24).

The goal of every school is to be the best, to be failure-free and to make possible that every child learn it is own talents and capabilities.

The new generations of children grow up surrounded with digital media. That is why constantly updating teaching programs is essential for students to obtain different kinds of knowledge. They should be in the focus of attention: there should be changes in the way we grade students, education should be computerized, but most importantly changes should be applied in the classroom itself, in they way we manage it and in the way we organize classes.

Learning is in essence, the most interesting game in life. All children believe this before we convince them otherwise - that it’s very difficult!

But if we want to implement this in education, we have to modernize teaching methods. In order for a teacher to be successful, he has to bear in mind that every child is a person, an individual with it is own learning method. Every learning method should be respected, because there is no such thing as a bad learning method. Recognizing one’s own method of learning is the key to successful education and work.

Besides that, the teacher should provide every student with the possibility of choice and the responsibility for his own education.

The teacher, being the key for the teaching process, should be able to establish a positive school atmosphere. Such an atmosphere is described as purposeful, active, relaxed and motivational. With a positive educational atmosphere and a mutual trust between teachers and students all problems and difficulties are easily surmounted. Additionally, the teacher is responsible for setting the expectation rate of student success.

A positive school atmosphere has the following characteristics:

Hence the big part that management plays in education - in it we find both the guidance and the solutions contemporary education systems need.

Before we jump to analysis and organization of the teaching process, we will try to define management as a scientific discipline:

“Management stands for a set of activities (including planning, deciding, organizing, leading and controlling) that focus on the use of resources (human, financial, informational) for the achievement of goals in an efficient and effective way” (Gocevski, T. 2010: 5).

This paper is about managing the classroom, so a more particular definition of school management is required:

The management of a classroom is a process that includes different activities done by teacher and student alike, but also teaching subjects that have to be aligned with both the needs and abilities of the students, and the previously established teaching goals.

With this kind of organization, students will be able to achieve results, individually and in groups. The right kind of management allows for a rational use of time and resources, for activities that complement teaching subjects, and for efficiency in reaching the set goals. (Trajkov. B. 2007: 1-6).

The advantages of teachers who manage their teaching process and

the classroom (Kelly, L. 1982: 167):

1. Students are deeply involved in their activities and they do them with utmost care.

2. Students know what’s expected of them and they are generally pleased with it.

3. A relatively small amount of time is lost to confusion.

The atmosphere in the classroom is work oriented, but also relaxing and pleasant (Jankovski, D. 2002: 49).

In theory, school management is comprised of time for (Morgenstern, J. 2000: 41):

- Planning;

- Studying;

- Theory;

- Development of the teaching program;

- Decision making;

- Use of appropriate techniques;

- Evaluation models.

1. The management of a classroom is in essence, about being capable of putting time to good use. To implement this in the lessons is very important. Wasting the time of the student usually results in lack of respect (Petkovski, K., & Aleksova, N. 2004: 73).

2. The development of concepts in the theory of studying is of vital importance for the effective planning in school management. For example, if the class has not been appropriately planned, (if the concept has been too advanced or too simple) there is a higher probability that students will behave improperly.

3. How to behave with problematic students, when and how to praise students in the classroom, how to establish a system of rewarding students is usually picked up through personal experience. Sometimes the situation is parallel or directly connected to school management planning.

4. The development of the teaching program is still an important segment in classroom management. It is necessary for every teacher to know how to outline his lessons according to the goals of the school teaching program. Many school systems don’t have clear and defined teaching goals. It is essential for every new teacher in the system to establish his work philosophy in the frame of the teaching program, regardless of previous experience.

5. Classroom management is easy if one is familiar with making decisions and sticking to them. Many teachers can’t manage continuity in their work, although work principles are the most important for students.

6. The use of the multitude of appropriate techniques in the classroom creates an atmosphere stimulating to both teachers and students. Not all students learn the same way, some learn visually, others by hearing, some have difficulties reading, and some have weakened hearing. Some are highly motivated, some aren’t at all. Because of all this, there’s a need to present the same material in different ways, to make as many students as possible receptive to it. This way, all students have the opportunity to learn. The ability to use different teaching techniques make the lesson effective, and an effective lesson eliminates the need for discipline.

7. In order for teachers to be effective teaching managers, they should be capable of short-term and long-term planning. Long-term planning in this case would refer to a semester, or a student`s year, or any other period of time that is adequate. Short-term planning refers to the daily and weekly planning of lessons, most probably both. Good planning in a manager means that he’s easily adaptable and ready to embrace teaching activities spontaneously.

8. In the end, capable managers know how to evaluate the situation in class. Constant evaluation gives the possibility of analysis of information, and that makes for better management programs. All these ways offer reciprocity, which is what helps a teacher in his effectiveness.  

Graphicon1

Graphicon 1. Management in education

 

This table shows us that we need to distinguish school management from the management in the classroom itself.

The next table shows the key educational elements that XXI century students have a right to (Teaching and learning in the 21 - century 2009: 15):

Table1

Table 1. Key educational elements

 

 

A teacher who is capable of managing the curriculum should have skills. That means that every teacher who wants to be efficient in his work should know how to inspire students to study, which in turn would result in achieving the previously set goals.

In order to be efficient, a teacher has to bear in mind that the following phases are essential to the teaching process:

1. Planning and preparing for the lesson;

2. Duration of the lesson itself, along with performance;

3. Establishing a positive climate in the classroom;

4. Establishing a working atmosphere and discipline;

5. Evaluation of progress and

6. Evaluation of one’s own work.

 

             

For all this to be realized successfully, conditions should be met:

1. The teachers has to maintain a high level of attention in his students;

2. He should encourage them and motivate them during the entirety of the lesson;

3. Activities realized during the lesson should be in accordance with the type of studying we are trying to achieve.

A lesson thus set and organized, improves the quality of the teaching, and motivates the students to study.

 

1. METHODOLOGY OF RESEARCH

 

Following this concept, we made a research in three elementary schools and two high schools in the Karpos municipality of the city of Skopje.

Data will be interpreted separately for elementary schools and high schools. Analyzing part of the answers from the schools has led to some interesting conclusions. This analysis will concern itself only with part of the answers of teachers, to confirm the thesis that contemporary teachers are not really capable of making a change in the organization and realization of lessons.

 

2. RESEARCH RESULTS

 

These are the answers to the question of the significance of management in the classroom given by elementary school teachers. 53% of the teachers gave an affirmative answer, while the remaining 47% said they are not familiar with what it really stands for.

To the question of how they plan the lesson and do they need to prepare for it, most of the teachers or 87% of them answered that they always plan, while the remaining 13% rely solely on the textbook.

Concerning the classroom atmosphere and the engagement of students during the class, 84% say that they take care to interpret the material in interesting ways, so the students are able to understand it, while 16% say that they don’t pay attention to that, because the number of students in a class is too big, making it impossible to provide a good teaching atmosphere.

High schools have brought the following results:

To the question of classroom management, only 34% answered affirmatively, while 67% don’t know what classroom management actually means.

To the question of how they plan the lesson and how much they prepare for it, the answers were almost identical with those given by the elementary teachers - 82% always plan, while the remaining 18% follow the textbook. 26% of the high school teachers take care to present the material in an interesting way so that it is easily absorbed by students, while the other 74% say that the number of students in a class makes it impossible to provide a good teaching atmosphere.

We came across some interesting results both from the elementary and high school teachers concerning evaluation and self-evaluation of students.

The general impression that their answers give is that teachers evaluate identically, through tests and exams, while not a single teacher makes use of self-evaluation as a method. This questions their objectivity, that is, the application of acquired knowledge from the side of the students.

Self-evaluation is a notion that teachers grudgingly stay away from, because they think that it is unnecessary - almost all of them answered that in their opinion, they are doing a good job.

These results show that elementary school teachers understand classroom management more than high school teachers. It is a condition that indicates a serious lack of pedagogic education in high school teachers.

 

 

3. RECOMMENDATION

 

Thus, instead of a conclusion we would like to recommend the following:

- The initial education of teachers should include further pedagogic education

- Attention should be paid to self-evaluation, because it is clearly not used as a method in institutions, that is, it does not provide good results.

How to improve this condition?

The already familiar phrases such as “the institutions in question should provide training programs” result in nothing. So again, the question reasserts itself.

Analyzing the conditions in schools, the general impression is that the teachers aren’t motivated due to many reasons (their administrative engagements, the pressure from possible penalties, etc.) so therefore, if a teacher enters a classroom unmotivated, how should we expect students to be motivated – the teacher has no zeal for his work, which reflects badly on the students and on the whole of the education process. Of course that they will gain knowledge to last them the week, the type of knowledge that doesn’t bring anything to anybody.

The answer to this question should be sought for in how the state manages the affairs of education. We are only left to wait silently and see how and when the teaching process will be democratized, while generations and generations of students sink in the depths of ignorance.

 

Conflict of interests

 

Authors declare no conflict of interest.

 

REFERENCE

 

Burnham, J. (2008). Managing Quality in Schools, Phoenix Photosetting. Kent.

Dryden, G., & Vos, J. (2001). Revolution of Studying, Educa. Zagreb.

Gocevski, T. (2010). Education Management, Faculty of Philosophy. Skopje.

Jankovski, D. (2002). Organization of Education, Faculty of Pedagogy. Bitola.

Kelly, L. (1982). The Successful Teacher, The Iowa State. Ames: University Press.

Morgenstern, J. (2000). Time Management from the Inside Out, Henry Hurt and Company. New York.

Petkovski, K., & Aleksova, N. (2004). Running a dynamic school, Bureau for Development of Education. Skopje.

Teaching and learning in the 21 - century (2009). Handbook for Teachers in Primary Education, USAID. Skopje.

Trajkov. B. (2007). Methodological Guide for Effective Classroom Management, Imor Skopje.